As some of you guys may know, I am a full on hardcore breastfeeding enthusiast. For myself that is. I fell in love with breastfeeding once my supply regulated and Aidan had found a good latching position.
Needless to say, I was pretty determined to continue breastfeeding for #2. When I found out I was pregnant, I continued to pump till my supply dwindled. I stopped pumping at about 18 weeks (pregnancy brain, can’t remember exactly when)
I still continued latching though as Aidan has yet to wean. I also did not want to force him to wean, I prefer for him to self-wean if he ever wants to. And I knew that he pretty much was comfort latching.
But latching became so painful. It was really unbearable. Am not sure if it was the hormones or what, but it was more painful for me than the first week of breastfeeding.
I didn’t share this much but I started feeling angry also whenever Aidan latched. Like straight on angry feelings, pissed off feelings. I felt so angry at him.
And I got so confused with my feelings. I love latching and I love breastfeeding. Why was I getting angry? I had no history with prenatal depression nor postnatal depression so I was super confused.
Here I was.. feeling angry when Aidan latched and guilty the next moment. My emotions were going crazy honestly. I soon started googling and came across the term “Nursing aversion“.
Basically it’s quite common though I have never heard of the term before. Seems like most mums get it when they get pregnant the second time.
Skai encouraged me to wean Aidan since I was having all of these negative feelings but I wasn’t ready to call it quits. I researched, joined Facebook groups, read lots of articles and decided to try out the tips suggested.
I still latch Aidan but I cut down on the latching time. I would tell him it hurts and stop for a while but latch again later and we soon established a routine. Beginning, it was tough, he would cry, yell and get angry but after a while, it went well.
Now that colostrum has kicked in, latching is less painful. Aidan pretty much latches once or twice a day and asks for ‘neh neh’ at times.
I’m glad that I managed to find some information about how I was feeling and found out how to make the best out of it. Nursing aversion is real, I guess it could be a kind of prenatal depression too?
I honestly can’t wait to tandem latch both Aidan and Davina in future. I’m hoping this nursing aversion feeling would pass, some say it would stay for a while. But I’ll try my very best. To fellow mums who are suffering from nursing aversion, jiayou ladies! Do whatever makes it better. If you have to wean, by all means. If you have to cut down, go ahead.
Do check out my pregnancy and baby blog posts here:
- The Third Party
- Pregnancy’s Musings
- Pregnancy Pet Peeves
- Prenatal Yoga
- Choosing Junior’s name
- Pampering treats during my pregnancy
- 35 weeks pregnant
- Almost there now
- Maternity photoshoot by Ashley Low Photography
- Say hello to baby Aidan!
- Newborn shoot with Ashley Low Photography
- Happy Father’s Day with Oral B
- Aidan is 3 months old
- Chubby A wears ChubbyK
- Trying out QV!
- How is it like being a mum?
- Aidan is now 4 months old
- Aidan’s birth story
- My pre-preparation before Aidan’s arrival
- Bringing Aidan home
- A is 5 months old!
- A dad’s role
- Baby Aidan is 6 months old!
- Transitioning back to work
- Babywearing rocks!
- Aidan is now 7 months old!
- Milk bath for Baby Aidan!
- Ecostore baby range
- Family staycation at Ramada Singapore
- Baby Aidan is now 8 months old!
- Somebody is 9 months old
- 4 Major Things That Happened To Me in 2016
- Meeting Ula from Tula!
- Aidan turns 10
- CNY: Then and Now
- 11 months old!
- Our Family Fun Escape Staycation at Swissotel Merchant Court
- Trying out Nateen Baby Diapers
- Our Family Photoshoot with Ashley Low Photography
- Aidan is 1!
- No longer a baby! A is 13 months old!
- 14 months old now!
- If I can, I will
- Aidan’s cake smash photoshoot
- You’ll never stop worrying as a parent
- Our stay at Oasia Residence
- How I packed the Jujube BFF for a day out!
- Aidan is 15 months old
- Celebrating 33
- Bringing a baby to Genting
- Aidan’s 16 & 17 months milestones
- Aidan’s 18 & 19 months milestones
- Our Royal Caribbean Mariners of the Seas cruise experience with a toddler
- A new addition coming our way in April 2018
- My Gender Reveal Photoshoot
- Aidan’s milestones
Thanks for reading nadnut.com – Singapore Lifestyle Blog! Do follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Dayre and Snapchat (nick: @nadnutdotcom) to get quicker updates of my life! For advertorials, media invitations or sponsored reviews, please contact me here.