I am a firm believer of tonics. It helps with getting the body ready in most occasions. From young, I would take chicken essence in preparation for examinations and with my first pregnancy, I would take chicken and fish essence during pregnancy and postnatal recovery. Back then, I didn't like the taste but would grimace and drink it because it was good for me.
With my second pregnancy, it was no exception that I would take tonics again. I saw Carrie's review of Tian Yuan Xiang Chicken Essence and was intrigued by it. Spoke to a staff from Tian Yuan Xiang and she kindly recommended me which type of essence to take as Tian Yuan Xiang had a whole range of Chicken Essence for various purposes.
She recommended Chicken Essence with Eucommia for me to take during my pregnancy as it contains various herbs that will help replenish loss of fluids and also alleviate the heatiness during pregnancy. Other herbs, including Eucommia Bark, Dodder Seed, Himalayan Teasel Root and Colla Corii Asini also help to nourish organs such as liver, kidney and enriches the blood which ultimately helps with the back and waist pain that most pregnant mothers will encounter in our final trimester and after birth.
She also mentioned that the herbs, Ziziphi Spinosae Semen and Ophiopogonis Radix in Chicken Essence with Eucommia can help with getting a better night sleep and that I could also share this with Skai as it's not limited to just pregnant women. Eucommia is suitable for most people, especially those who require a bit more boost of energy such as overtaxed and stressed workers, teenagers, pregnant, breastfeeding and postnatal mothers. The only thing is that it isn't suitable for women who are on their period and anyone with fever.
Preparing the chicken essence was super simple. I kept the chicken essence frozen in my deep freezer and only took out a packet when needed. Simply cut open the packet and place the frozen block into a cup/bowl with a lid. You can either microwave it or double boil it at 100°C.
I was pleasantly surprised when I first tasted the chicken essence. It totally does not taste like any bottled chicken essence that I have tried before. It smelled great, tasted sweet and extremely rich flavour. It tasted like something home brewed instead! Very delicious. I looked forward to drinking this daily because it really taste great!
From what I read, Tian Yuan Xiang Chicken Essence uses 3.5 chickens for each box. The essence is braised and stewed under elevated temperatures and they practice 100% natural extractions. Every golden drop, containing essential amino acids and good protein, can be the best refreshment to nourish our health and energy.
For postnatal recovery, she recommended the Chicken Essence with Vaccaria Seed as I mentioned that I would be breastfeeding.
She shared that the Chicken Essence with Vaccaria Seed is most suitable for breastfeeding mums to help recuperate our strength and energy. The herbs in this flavour help to nourish Qi and blood to help boost milk supply and prevent mastitis. Aside for the breastfeeding benefits, the herbs Nezumimochi and Fleece Flower Root in the Chicken Essence with Vaccaria Seed also help nourish the liver, enrich blood, relieve aches and help with postnatal hairloss. In addition, the "Chicken Essence with Vaccaria Seed" combines many herbs together that not only helps with calming the nerves and improves better sleep and lessens stress.
I didn't commence on the chicken essence as I had to avoid chicken and eggs for the first two weeks due to my caesarian birth. Once I hit 2 weeks, I started drinking the Chicken Essence with Vaccaria seed immediately. I'm almost done with the box and would be ordering another box soon!
Just take note if you are drinking Tian Yuan Xiang's chicken essence:
- The best time to drink chicken essence is in the morning or before 4pm.
- Drinking on an empty stomach would be more ideal for better absorption.
- It is recommended to drink at least a packet a day. If you are really exhausted, you can drink 2 packets a day. For those in confinement, you can drink even more such as up to 4 packets a day.
- It is best to drink earlier and not right before bed as it may cause sleeplessness.
Tian Yuan Xiang was first heard in Taiwan and now have physical stores in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and Singapore. There are various flavours suitable for all group's needs such as elders, children, couples trying to conceive, stressed adults and mummies. Tian Yuan Xiang Chicken Essence is certified Halal except for the Chicken Essence with Eucommia.
If you'll like to check out Tian Yuan Xiang, you can visit their physical store at
101 Thomson Road, #B1-24A United Square, Singapore 307591 (Novena MRT)
Tel: 65 6200 6789
You can also check out more info about them via their website or social media channels below:
Thanks Tian Yuan Xiang for sending across these boxes for the review!
Do check out my pregnancy and baby blog posts here:
- The Third Party
- Pregnancy's Musings
- Pregnancy Pet Peeves
- Prenatal Yoga
- Choosing Junior's name
- Pampering treats during my pregnancy
- 35 weeks pregnant
- Almost there now
- Maternity photoshoot by Ashley Low Photography
- Say hello to baby Aidan!
- Newborn shoot with Ashley Low Photography
- Happy Father's Day with Oral B
- Aidan is 3 months old
- Chubby A wears ChubbyK
- Trying out QV!
- How is it like being a mum?
- Aidan is now 4 months old
- Aidan's birth story
- My pre-preparation before Aidan's arrival
- Bringing Aidan home
- A is 5 months old!
- A dad's role
- Baby Aidan is 6 months old!
- Transitioning back to work
- Babywearing rocks!
- Aidan is now 7 months old!
- Milk bath for Baby Aidan!
- Ecostore baby range
- Family staycation at Ramada Singapore
- Baby Aidan is now 8 months old!
- Somebody is 9 months old
- 4 Major Things That Happened To Me in 2016
- Meeting Ula from Tula!
- Aidan turns 10
- CNY: Then and Now
- 11 months old!
- Our Family Fun Escape Staycation at Swissotel Merchant Court
- Trying out Nateen Baby Diapers
- Our Family Photoshoot with Ashley Low Photography
- Aidan is 1!
- No longer a baby! A is 13 months old!
- 14 months old now!
- If I can, I will
- Aidan's cake smash photoshoot
- You'll never stop worrying as a parent
- Our stay at Oasia Residence
- How I packed the Jujube BFF for a day out!
- Aidan is 15 months old
- Celebrating 33
- Bringing a baby to Genting
- Aidan's 16 & 17 months milestones
- Aidan's 18 & 19 months milestones
- Our Royal Caribbean Mariners of the Seas cruise experience with a toddler
- A new addition coming our way in April 2018
- My Gender Reveal Photoshoot
- Aidan's milestones
- Suffering from nursing aversion
- My maternity photoshoot with Ashley Low Photography
- Difference between expecting #1 and #2
- Presenting Davina Sim...
- Davina's birth story
- Our newborn and family shoot with Ashley Low Photography
- My PEM Confinement Review
- Aidan's and Davina's monthly milestones
Thanks for reading nadnut.com - Singapore Lifestyle Blog! Do follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Dayre and Snapchat (nick: @nadnutdotcom) to get quicker updates of my life! For advertorials, media invitations or sponsored reviews, please contact me here.