This is a Monday's Musings - Random thoughts, feelings and musings by Yours Truly entry under my themed blog posts! For more info about the themed blog posts, do read the entry here.
I think most of my Monday's Musings entries comes from real life experiences. When irked, amused, I think it makes good content for Monday's boliaoness posts.
As some of you guys may know, I'm 31. Practically ancient as compared to some of my young coworkers.
Here are some words I used often back then that are 'renamed' differently now.
1. Camwhoring = Selfie
We used camwhoring back then to describe someone or ourselves who love to take pictures often.
Not same meaning meh?!
2. Hari Raya Lights = Fairy Lights
Then: Hari Raya Lights
You've probably seen these lights hanging at your Malay neighbour's homes during Raya time.
Now: Fairy Lights
Now, raya lights get a funkier name. "fairy" lights. Maybe they have always been known as Fairy Lights in the past. But seriously.. I used to call them Hari Raya Lights lor. Rebranding liao ah?
3. Unhappy = Underhappy
Last time, there were 'happy', 'unhappy', 'angry' and 'worried'.
According to some simisai survey, there is a score between Unhappy and Happy. It's called 'Underhappy'. "‘Under Happy’ (51 to 67) which is between ‘Unhappy’ (0 to 50) and ‘Happy’ (68 to 100)."
Perhaps, the state of being unhappy but not THAT unhappy = Underhappy?
4. Boo = Bae
Whatever happened to calling your partners Boo? Does no one remember the Alicia Keys and Usher song? 'You will always be my boo~'
So apparently, the "in-thing' now is calling your partner Bae. Isn't that the danish word for poop? Maybe to describe a shitty partner? LOL!
5. Shillings = Coins
I've been teased relentlessly by my colleagues whenever I use the word Shillings.
Apparently old fogeys like myself and their parents use the word Shillings and not coins. Really meh?!
Know of any other examples? Feel free to comment on this post!
Do check out my other Monday's Musings blog posts here:
- 10 Things That Annoy Short People
- 5 Things That Change After Marriage
- Why You Should Never Ask A Couple When Are They Having Kids
- 8 Reasons Why You Should Travel
- 20 Facts about nadnut
- Places To Meet Guys In Singapore
- DeerNadia vs DearNadia
- Things That Couples Get Annoyed With
- Why I Hate Buying Things Back For People
- 11 Signs That You Are A Singaporean
- Reasons Why I Love Him
- The Importance Of Group Dynamics
- Things That Couples Hate to Hear
- Love is a decision, not a feeling.
- Things That Pisses Drivers Off
- Things You Do Not Want For Christmas
- Why You Should Declutter Your (Social Media) Life
- 8 Major Things That Happened To Me in 2014
- nadnut's New Year Resolutions for 2015
- Opposites Attract
- The 10 Worst People To Travel With
- 5 Reasons Why I Love Chinese New Year
- 6 Types Of Colleagues You'll Encounter
- Things That Freaking Irritate Me
Well, this is my Monday's Musings entry. Sorry for the long wall of text! I hope that you've enjoyed reading this Then and Now: Same meaning, Different words. musing piece! Are there any other topics that you'll like to hear from me? Do comment and I'll muse about that
Thanks for reading nadnut.com - Singapore Lifestyle Blog! Do follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Dayre and Snapchat (nick: @nadnutdotcom) to get quicker updates of my life! For advertorials, media invitations or sponsored reviews, please contact me here.