– Always celebrate! Whether it’s the 1st or the 50th, each year together is a triumph.
– Let each other know how much you appreciate each other. You may already know but hearing it from each other is always better.
– Be best friends preferably before being boyfriend-girlfriend. Take time to know each other so the relationship will be a deep one. Tell each other about your crushes,dreams and problems. Make sure he/she is your best friend before getting engaged. The strong bond of friendship will help you both survive tough times.
– make it a point to spend time together often but leave room for each other. Also spend time alone w/ each other, so that at the end ofthe day you could both share your experiences. This way, you stay interesting with your partner.
CHANGING EACH OTHER
– Don’t marry an asshole, a jerk or a bitch. You’ll never change each other.
– Always compliment each other. This will prevent feelings of resentment & thinking that one is being taken for granted.
– Keep doings things that you both enjoy, do them together. Make time & continue to date to keep the romance- look good, smell good to maintain physical attraction
– Celebrate differences. Never force your ideologies down each other’s throat. Give up trying to turn your partner into you. Accept differences, appreciate them.
– Fight w/the aim to resolve the issue. Don’t outdo each other. The longer you extend the fight. The more chances that you’ll say something hurtful that you don’t really mean. As mad as you were w/ your partner, he/she is still the person who laughs at your jokes & thinks you’re hot.
– Hear each other out, don’t dig up old issues.
– Choose your battles. Make sure the fight will be worth it & that something will change in the relationship as a result of the fight.
– Know that the perfect person does not exist. Know that just as there are things that you love about him/her, there will be things that will make you go crazy. We are only human with our own flaws.
– Have fun together! This means keeping the fun & spontaneity that was there in the early days. Allow yourselves to get silly- shower together, pee w/the door open etc. Being able to make each other laugh & see the lighter, crazier, absurd side is the best way to get through all the differences in personalities, adjustments in lifestyle & opposing viewpoints.
– Make sure you have similar goals. It would be difficult to keep your bond intact if your views are complete opposite,
– Quit tabulating grudges. Let it off. Discuss it, then trash it, don’t recycle it.
KEEPING IT HOT
– Keep it hot by traveling to diff. places together. A new setting will do wonders. Always have skin contact- be it holding hands, a massage or just plain leg rubbing.
– Don’t lie or hide things. The problem will only get bigger.
KNOW EACH OTHER
– Learn each other’s interest. It really keeps the conversation flowing!
– A hug can be far better more intimate than a kiss.
– Don’t lose your personality- that’s why he/she fell in love w/you. Have separate interest & activities to keep your individual, & to be able to contribute more to the relationship.
– Having your own income means you’re the boss in your life.
– Make rooms for the in-laws.
– Wish each other well. Don’t wish each other worst
– Speak up about the awkward stuff now, like money & sex. The earlier, the better.
-Listen, listen, listen. Hear each other out especially during arguments.